Be a Green Teen
Being a BFF to the environment isn’t always about rallying for big global changes. You can tweak simple things in your day-to-day drill to help save the environment. Get with the green routine!
Good Morning, Sunshine!
• Don’t linger in the shower. Cutting just two minutes saves gallons of water, plus the fuel it takes to heat the H2O.
• Don’t scrimp on brushing your teeth, but shut the water off while you’re doing it.
• Is your school close (and safe) enough to bike or walk there? Good exercise and kind to the planet.
The Lunch Bunch
• While you’re at it, ditch the sandwich baggies. They don’t biodegrade, so try a plastic container you can use again and again.
• Toss used cans or bottles into a recycling bin. No recycling program in your school? Make it happen!
• When your computer is at rest, nix the screensaver, which is an energy waster.
• No. 1 rule? If you’re aren’t using it, shut it off. Do you really need three lights on and the TV as background noise?
What’s for Dinner?
• Switch to cloth napkins -- classy.
• Don’t run the dishwasher unless it’s full. If yours has an energy-saver mode, use it.
• You do dishes the old-fashioned way? Don’t leave the water running while you’re washin’. Fill the basin, scrub away the ick, then rinse.
Into the Night
• Shut off your computer, TV and radio. Better yet, unplug all electronics. Standby mode uses up lots of unnecessary energy.
• Layer up so you can turn down the heat. Lights out!
Above and Beyond
Is it a bird? A plane? Or 12-year-old skydiver Kayla Tinucci? She can't jump from a plane until she turns 18, but Kayla and her brother, Justin, 9, are among the most successful skydivers in the world. They practice daily at a wind tunnel -- Skyventure Colorado -- where they'll compete in the first annual Summit Challenge beginning Jan. 31, 2009. The sibling team recently broke a Guinness World Record for longest indoor freefall, flipping and floating in the air for one hour, 36 minutes. "Every kid dreams they can fly. It's so much fun to actually experience it," says Kayla.
Read more about: Style
What should you do if you’re being bullied?
Quiz! Who’s Your Celeb Dream Date?
Justin Bieber, Rob Pattinson, Nick Jonas, Zac Efron, Taylor Lautner. ... Take our quiz to discover your ideal date with one of these cuties. Happy Valentine's Day!
When it comes to boys, you are:
Letter to the Editor
Tell us what's on your mind!Click Here